At a recent meeting in Geneva, NY, the Norfolk Southern Corporation announced that they would continue their marketing program called the Empire Link with 13 New York-based short line railroads. Rail shipments to and from facilities on any of these lines are able to route traffic via the Southern Tier NS
line with special Empire Link pricing factors in place.
"We believe that this will create new business opportunites for railroads and shippers alike," stated Mike Smith, President of Finger Lakes Railway. "There has to be an incentive for shippers to move commodities by rail carload, and there has to be incentive for railroads to move more carload traffic."
Shippers and recievers with commodities to exchange should consider rail
freight to other traditional shipping methods in order to take advantage of this
partnership. The following map (also linked at the bottom of the page
as PDF attachment) will show the connections between the 13 local short
lines that interchange (I/C) with NS on the Southern Tier Mainline
between Binghamton and Silver Springs. The Corning Secondary is included
at the NS branch line from Corning, NY to Geneva, NY. Also included is
the NS branch line from Waverly, NY to Ludlowville, NY.
The “Empire Link” allows the short line railroads to sell the service on rail through the NS’ Southern Tier main line between Binghamton and Silver Springs, NY, as well as on their branch lines between Corning and Geneva, and between Waverly and Ludlowville. This is a combined total of 2400 miles on the Empire Link rail network.
Shippers can take advantage of Transload opprotunities are that are also available on many of the shortlines. To find out shipping rates between these shortline railroads via the NS Southern Tier Mainline, simply contact the shortline railroad of origin or destination.
Click on the PDF below or visit each of the railroads websites for contact information.
Each Empire Link participating railroad is listed below.
- BH - Bath and Hammondsport Railroad I/C Painted Post
- CNYK - Central New York Railroad Corp. (NYSW partner RR) I/C Binghamton
- FGLK - Finger Lakes Railway (ONCT partner RR) I/C Geneva
- LAL - Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad I/C Silver Springs
- NYSW - New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway Corp. (CNYK partner RR) I/C Binghamton
- ONCT - Ontario Central Railroad (FGLK Partner RR) I/C Geneva
- OHRY - Owego & Harford Railway I/C Owego
- RSR - Rochester and Southern Railroad I/C Silver Springs
- WCOR - Wellsboro and Corning Railroad I/C Corning
- WNYP - Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad I/C Hornell
- DLWR - Depew, Lancaster, & Western I/C Buffalo
- BPRR - Buffalo & Pittsburg I/C Buffalo
- SBRR - Stourbridge I/C Lackawaxen (CNYK)
|2010 EmpireLink_Attention Shippers_MAP ONLY_final_October 21-2010.pdf||435.34 KB|
|2010 EmpireLink_Attention Shippers_final_October 21-2010.pdf||724.4 KB|